Ben and I took our annual medicinal trip (remember, we need Vitamin D) to Hawaii in the middle of January. We met his parents in Kauai for a week, but made a quick stop in Maui on the way there. I've never been to Maui before and since we were already flying 4,000+ miles across the country, the logical choice was to stop in Maui for two days. We only had one full day there, plus two half days. We spent the half days relaxing at the beach and eating at Da Kitchen.
On our one full day, we drove the road to Hana. It was a long adventure (started at 6 am, ended 12 hours later), but the best way to get a condensed taste of Maui. All of the photos below were taken during our day long adventure.
The road! One of about 500 turns in the road - this drive is not meant for the faint of heart or the carsick.
Like I mentioned, we hit the road around 6 am. Our intent was to stop at a local cafe for breakfast. Turns out, there is only ONE, yes one, place to stop for breakfast during the entire jungle drive. Around 9 am, we (especially Ben) were starting to panic about the food supply. Thankfully, the Hana Hotel served up a mean stack of banana macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup. It wasn't the hole in the wall breakfast we were imagining, but it was to. die. for.

Do you spy a rainbow?
Do you spy Ben?
We stopped and hiked to Waimoku falls (4 miles round trip). My favorite part was walking through the bamboo forest as the trees clanked.

The falls!
Seven sacred pools

Our JEEP advertisement - taken during our drive back on the dry, southern side of the island
Did I mention the entire eastern part of the island does not have a food supply? Our next food stop didn't come until 3 pm when we found a burger stand in someone's front yard on the side of the road.
Our victory sweet at the end of the day. The (half melted) photo does not do it justice, but Ululani's has the best shave ice on Maui, and maybe any island. It's smooth like butter.
That's it for our Maui adventure. Next stop: Kauai.

2 comments:
Fun! I want to tag along next time!
So stinkin' cool! I love the pics. Alas, it makes me yearn for our days in Hawaii. I'm glad that you two are able to make it a yearly thing! Also, I can only imagine Ben panicking about the food supply--too funny. Your food pics look delicious. Can't wait for the next post.
Post a Comment