Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Vitamin D Tour

At the end of last year, I had some leftover $$ in my flexible spending health account. Ben and I decided to put the money to good use and get annual physicals. The doctor reported that we were each in great health, except we both had low Vitamin D levels. I wanted to say something like, "It's December 30th and I haven't seen the sun in months - what do you expect!?" Instead, I vowed I would do a better job of getting Vitamin D via the sun next summer. We were fortunate enough to get a jump on summer this year and take a sunny state tour the first two weeks of May.

Stop 1: Beverly Hills to visit a family friend of the Blaylocks (3 days)
Stop 2: Oahu to visit my older sister Karen and her family (1 week)
Stop 3: Kauai to spend time with Ben's parents at the "healing island" (1 week)

It was the most glorious 17 days I've ever spent in the sun*. Mainly because it was 17 day vacation, but also because we were in beautiful places with people we loved. I'll post more about each stop on the tour, but here's a glimpse of how the trip ended. Ben went on a 17-mile, 9-hour kayaking tour around the Na Pali coast the day before we flew back to the states. His parents and I greeted him for the landing. The best part comes at 00:00:32.


*It actually rained almost the entire time we were in Hawaii, but we saw the sun at least once a day.

2 comments:

llcall said...

Drats! I can't believe the Vitamin D tour took place BEFORE we moved to California!

Karen said...

Sorry that the Vitamin D tour wasn't as productive as it should have been with the cloudy, rainy weather. But we loved loved loved seeing you guys! Kuddos to Ben for completing that...so inspiring!