Saturday, April 20, 2013

New York Traditions - Pt. 1

In DC, the one forbidden place at our house for Jack-Jack was our bed.  We had two bedrooms and he was allowed to get on the bed in the second bedroom, but "the cloud" aka "le poof" aka our bed was off limits.  Ben had been allergic to dog before getting allergy shots, and he wanted one dog free place in the home.  

Le poof is a dream bed. When Ben was traveling a few years ago, one of my projects was to redo our bedroom.  I ordered a bed from West Elm, and half way through assembling the bed, I realized they had delivered (mostly) a king bed instead of a queen even though I ordered a queen.  I was not about to stop half way through that project (West Elm, unlike Ikea, has 500 screws in their beds), so I called West Elm and they gave me the last part of the king bed and overall upgrade for free.  As a result of the upgrade and the two attached nightstands, our bed went wall-to-wall in our room.  We modeled the mattress, (poofy feather) mattress cover, and duvet after the Sofitel bed, which provides the most amazing sleep experience of all time.  I swore the bed would never leave that room because it was such a pain to assemble.  And it didn't when we moved from DC to NYC.  Hopefully our renters appreciate good sleep.

Ben's pjs also didn't make the cut during the move

Since we now sleep full-time in the bed Jack-Jack is allowed in, we had to establish new rules in NYC.  Jack-Jack has free rein of the bed during the day when we're home (he's crated whenever we're gone).  He gets to sleep with us on Friday and Saturday nights, but he sleeps in his crate every other night.  He also gets to jump in our bed during the minutes between when the first alarm goes off and when we actually get out of bed.  He never wakes us up in the night and would sleep 12 hours if we slept 12 hours, but as soon as he hears us move around in the morning or an alarm goes off, he squeals like a pig until we let him into our bed and he sprint under the covers.  It's pretty cute.

I love our weekend sleepover tradition.  Ben does too, but he's starting to worry that Jack-Jack is replacing him.  Jack-Jack usually beats him to bed on weekends, and quickly takes his spot next to me.

Ben is in DC right now for an impromptu brothers weekend.  Seth flew in yesterday from Belgium yesterday to check out the house they're buying.  I'm sure they're having the time of their lives, but Ben may not want to stay away for too long.  This is what I woke up to this morning:


It's not like this is the first time that Jack-Jack has taken over the bed. He does this all of the time.

'
 Exhibit A

 Exhibit B

 Exhibit C (one of my faves)

 Exhibit D

A lot of times he'll sneak away during the day and wrap himself in the sheets, but his favorite is when we cuddle with him.

 Exhibit E

 Exhibit F

Exhibit G

Exhi...Okay guys, enough photos.  

P.S. I'm aware we take too many photos of JJ and especially too many photos of him sleeping/cuddling.

P.P.S The Blaylocks, our dog included, really value sleep.  Can you tell?  I'm convinced it's the forgotten pillar of good health.

No comments: