Saturday, April 06, 2013

Easter Weekend

The older I get the more I enjoy Easter.  I always loved the holiday as a kid (mainly for the Easter egg hunts), but every year I love it more and more.  I really started appreciating Easter during college when we had a five-day break for the holiday.  Martha Stewart also taught me a thing or two about making pastel treats and buying tulips.    

While gushing about my excitement for Easter a few weeks ago, I was surprised to learn that it is Ben's favorite holiday.  I always assumed Christmas was his favorite holiday, but I guess not.  He loves the promise of warmer weather and, of course, the religious significance.  When you combine two Easter enthusiasts with warm weather (49 degrees! with sun!) it's bound to be a good weekend.

Friday afternoon/evening we went out a six hour date. We walked from Murray Hill to Gramercy Park to the West Village to Soho to Chinatown and then took the subway home.                  

Window shopping in the West Village

 Picking up Swedish candy at Sockerbit

Looking for a replacement iPhone case - this could be the one?

On Saturday we continued to bask in the nice weather.  We set up the furniture on our roof deck and laid out for the first time.  It was glorious.  I can't wait until I can work on my Vitamin D levels all summer long.  I also tried my hand at macarons, one of Ben's favorite sweets, as an Easter gift for Ben and friends.  It was a messy process, but the macarons turned out well.  In the evening we went over for friends for what turned out to be an Easter Eve feast.  They served a whole lamb (for four people, and only three people who eat red meat), and platefuls of seven different types of veggies.  It inspired me to pack my meals with more veggies.



On Sunday, Ben organized a hunt for me and Jack-Jack.  Apparently, Jack-Jack only hunts for squirrels and pigeons because I had to do all of the searching.  Jack-Jack enjoyed his cheese stick and squeaky skunk toy.  In the late morning, we went to Easter mass in Chelsea with one of my favorite friends.  The Catholics go all out for Easter, and I love it. The service was great. My favorite part is always the music.  The choir/instruments were top notch, and our "sing along" ended with the Hallelujah chorus.  You can't top that.




No comments: