Saturday, April 06, 2013

April Fools

Ben may claim that Easter is his favorite holiday, but I think it's really April Fools.

I'm gullible and he loves pranking people.  This could lead to trust issues, but he's decided not to exploit my gullibility 364 days of the year.  April Fools is the one day I am on guard.

Our first year we were married he successfully convinced me I was at risk of losing my job during the recession.  Last year he told family members that he was changing his name to Shamus. This year he pulled off the following:

1) Successfully convinced a friend he was taking a job as a cashier at McDonalds in Spanish Harlem.
2) Conspired with friends to design and post the following flyer in their building elevator.

A lot of our international friends from my program live in a building just down the street.  They always have random advertisements in their elevator, and we worked with some mutual friends to target our Canadian friends. They fell for it momentarily... until their above-average IQs kicked in.

3) Convinced me (for the duration of a phone call) that he was on "Yates watch."
 
Legend has it that Georgetown's student fitness center (Yates) keeps a list of people who are "on watch" - i.e., working out multiple times a day to the point that it's unhealthy.  Obviously this isn't something to joke about, but sometimes I tell Ben I'm going to put him on Yates watch because he's such a gym rat.  In the middle of the day I received a call from the "Columbia Fitness Center." They asked me if I was aware that my husband had been coming to the gym multiple times a day and asked if I would talk to him about eating disorders.  I was confused during the entire call, but as soon as I hung up, I knew Ben had put someone up to that. 

2 comments:

Rachel B. said...

LOL!!! Love the Yates watch. What a little turd! I actually totally hate April Fool's. I can't pull off pranks on people because I can't even bare a second of thinking I'm making somebody feel uncomfortable. I don't know why I'm so lame. It's dang hilarious to hear about or watch practical joke shows. Have you ever watched "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment?" It's not on anymore, but Tom and I used to die laughing watching it together. I would suggest that Ben start "The Ben Blaylock Experiment", but it sounds like he already has!!

Adrienne said...

This cracks me up. Ben totally had me fooled with the name change last year.