
It doesn't seem like that long ago that the title for this entry served as an ongoing subject line for my mass emails from abroad, but it has actually been nine months since I was last in lovely London. I hopped the pond for my spring break and, in most ways, it's as if I never left.
So far, my triumphant return has been magical. I've been catching up with dear friends, saunteering through my favourite neighborhoods with my iPod as company, and attending the usual London social events.
Yesterday we went to one of my happiest of happy places, Borough market, in the morning. I used to run there some Saturday mornings and then walk back with fresh bread and produce in tow. After the market visit, I went back to my old stomping grounds in Islington with Eric, a Georgetown friend who also returned to his LSE year abroad roots this break. We nearly collapsed with nostalgia upon being back in the neighborhood. We saw our beloved Rosebery Hall and then headed to Sainbury's to do a bit of grocery shopping for the party. Oh, how I love that place.
We had the most delightful dinner party last night at the flat where I'm staying. We served a vegetarian fare: flat mushrooms stuffed with brown rice, onions, and feta; ratatoullie; goat cheese pasta with tomato and basil; roasted sweet potatos; fresh "Norwegian" bread from the market; and rice pudding with jelly. I spent a good chunk of time cooking in the kitchen and loved that. There were several moments of high comedy (esp. in the kitchen) throughout the evening; I'm not sure I've ever laughed more at a dinner party. Anyhow, it was good fun.
I just returned from an afternoon tea party. I never attended a proper tea party last year, but my friend Sacha decided to have one for her birthday this year, coincidentally the weekend of my return. It was so English and so fun. We had crumpets, cheese scones, hot cross buns, ginger cake, etc... Like I said, English and fun.
This trip has been surreal on so many levels. It's hard to believe that that so much has happened since I left my happy home here. It's almost harder to believe that this is the life I got to live for a year. The London life is such a good life. It's good to be back and living the life, if only for a week. I'll post pictures when I'm back in the US of A.
So far, my triumphant return has been magical. I've been catching up with dear friends, saunteering through my favourite neighborhoods with my iPod as company, and attending the usual London social events.
Yesterday we went to one of my happiest of happy places, Borough market, in the morning. I used to run there some Saturday mornings and then walk back with fresh bread and produce in tow. After the market visit, I went back to my old stomping grounds in Islington with Eric, a Georgetown friend who also returned to his LSE year abroad roots this break. We nearly collapsed with nostalgia upon being back in the neighborhood. We saw our beloved Rosebery Hall and then headed to Sainbury's to do a bit of grocery shopping for the party. Oh, how I love that place.
We had the most delightful dinner party last night at the flat where I'm staying. We served a vegetarian fare: flat mushrooms stuffed with brown rice, onions, and feta; ratatoullie; goat cheese pasta with tomato and basil; roasted sweet potatos; fresh "Norwegian" bread from the market; and rice pudding with jelly. I spent a good chunk of time cooking in the kitchen and loved that. There were several moments of high comedy (esp. in the kitchen) throughout the evening; I'm not sure I've ever laughed more at a dinner party. Anyhow, it was good fun.
I just returned from an afternoon tea party. I never attended a proper tea party last year, but my friend Sacha decided to have one for her birthday this year, coincidentally the weekend of my return. It was so English and so fun. We had crumpets, cheese scones, hot cross buns, ginger cake, etc... Like I said, English and fun.
This trip has been surreal on so many levels. It's hard to believe that that so much has happened since I left my happy home here. It's almost harder to believe that this is the life I got to live for a year. The London life is such a good life. It's good to be back and living the life, if only for a week. I'll post pictures when I'm back in the US of A.
1 comment:
Ok, so the words out....my mom just broke the news. I am expecting a juicy post on this whole event....and you know what I am talking about!!
Post a Comment