"The first Porter Tenant of Leighs Priory was John Porter (1723-1793.) Then there was Charles Porter, (1757-1828) Then there was John Porter, 1797-1882. He was father to Arthur Porter, born at Leighs Priory in 1841. Arthur Porter would be your great, great grandfather. He was a younger son, so did not get the family estate. The last Porter to live at Leighs Priory was Arthur's oldest brother's son. The brother's name was Charles John Porter.I think the son's name was Charles Clement Lewellyn Porter. I don't think the Porters actually owned it, but just leased it for over a hundred years."I've got to to give to our ancestors - they were pretty baller. (See pictures of the grounds below.)
There's also a nice side story that goes along with our cultural venture. Leez Priory had been converted into a wedding venue and, in order to see the grounds, I posed as a bride-to-be looking to potentially book the Priory. Eric, naturally, was my wedding planner friend from New York. It was a classic adventure for more reasons than one.





2 comments:
great pictures, even though i'm not related to the porters. i've gotta go to england! however, i'm a little shocked to see the post considering this was a "work weekend" according to gchat. so that's what you mean when you say "work." don't tell neal, he'll want to "work" all the time and you know i can't afford that!
I wonder what Frankie is up to these days!!!!!
Post a Comment