Tuesday, September 04, 2007

New Student Convocation

"You are living a dream far beyond the imagination of most human beings. You have a privileged place in the world - a beautiful world - yet a world beset by injustice, a world in desperate need of your dreams. What you do with this privilege matters.

"It matters because it would make no sense to gather such talented men and women and provide you with the resources of this University, of this great city, if we didn't expect you to be the leaders of tomorrow. I urge you to accept - today - the responsibility of that leadership."

- President John DeGioia, Convocation speech

This year I had the opportunity to participate in Georgetown's New Student Convocation as one of the five students who led the incoming freshman in reciting the honor pledge before they donned their academic robes. It's one of my favorite events of the year (click the link above if you want to find out more and see professional photos of the event), and I was reminded once again of what a privilege it is to attend Georgetown and live my life. I am blessed, so very blessed.

The student speaker, Indra (far left), and the five student pledge leaders.


Me and Pasha representing the B School (McDonough School of Business)

I quite enjoy the pomp and circumstance of academia. The man on the right was my favorite professor with his pink Harvard robe, top hat, and sword. Ridiculous. I actually talked with him after convocation, but it wasn't until he was walking away that I had the audacity to snap a photo.

No comments: