Sunday, March 04, 2018

18 for 2018

<taps mic> Is this thing still on?

It has been a while since I have written a blog post. Four years and five months!

When I wrote my last post... I was living in New York, Ben in Beirut.  I was a student getting my MBA and trying to get a job in the Middle East.  Ben worked for the government.  A lot has happened since then.  Three moves (Beirut, Dubai, Switzerland). Two new jobs (Marriott - Ben, A.T. Kearney - Andrea). One up and down ride with enough highs and lows to last a lifetime.

As I write this post... we are currently living in Geneva, Switzerland and preparing to move back to Dubai in April after spending the past ~10 months on a magical Swiss getaway. I'm listening to less hip hop and more P!nk. But some things are still the same. I'm the luckiest girl in the world married to my better half. I'm obsessed with Jack-Jack. I'm still a faithful OKC Thunder fan, though has come with a 30s reality check (i.e. the KD breakup).

Lest I digress, so what am I doing here back on the blog? BLUF (bottom line up front): I miss having a more comprehensive archive of life. The record of my life for the past 4+ years has been stored on Instagram (selective snapshots of our latest travels, meal, or weekend outing), Twitter (eh, not much to see there), Snap (oh wait, everything disappeared ;)), and Gmail (a lot for future generations to sort through to piece together everything). I need more depth.

At the beginning of this year, Ben and I (and my friend Allison) made a list of "18 for 2018" goals for the year.  The full list is below, and if you look closely at #6 on my checklist you'll see I want to at least blog monthly this upcoming year.  So buckle up. I'm baaaaaaaaaack on this little blog of mine.


Andrea's 18 for 2018

Ongoing
1. Take Jack-Jack to dog park every Sunday we are in town
2. Break Ben’s streak for most consecutive days Head Spacing
3. Hold FHE with Ben every Monday night we are in the same place
4. Only use social media on weekends (grayscale rest of week)
5. Video call a friend or family member every Sunday
6. Charge kindle and leave next to bed with light every night
7. Do four hours of deep work a day
Checklist

8. Try Keto diet in February with Ben (amendment: Whole 30 in March with friends)
9. Run a 10k race
10. Do 10 real push-ups
11. Do a 30-day sugar / fruit fast (twice)
12. Change jobs
13. Publish 12 blog posts
14. Publish 3 medium posts
15. Take one trip to the American West
16. Check two places off my Europe travel bucket list
17. Learn one Coldplay song well on the piano
18. Add 100k to savings

1 comment:

llcall said...

Still on. Still here. I listen to/read Gretchen Rubin too so I've been thinking about an 18 for 2018. I can't wait to follow along with yours. Also, I need more details on some. What on earth is Head Spacing? 4 hours of deep work -- is that at your job, or personal projects, and how do you define "deep work"? What investment vehicle do you use for your savings? And of course, most importantly, WHERE in the American West?? ;) You can tell I love goals...(and also you and Ben.)