Thursday, July 05, 2012

Evening Parade

Last Friday night Ben and I went to the Evening Parade at the Marine Barracks with our friends Matt and Mel. The parade website explains the event better than I could: 

"A one hour and fifteen minute performance of music and precision marching, the Evening Parade features "The President's Own" United States Marine Band, "The Commandant's Own" The United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, the Marine Corps Color Guard, the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, Ceremonial Marchers, and LCpl. Chesty XIII, the official mascot of Marine Barracks Washington."

I love marching bands, and I've never been one to say no to precision marching, so this has been on my bucket list for the last few years.  The tickets are free and the event is only a mile from our house, but you have to reserve tickets a couple months in advance.  Every year I forget to do this until it's too late.  This spring I finally got my act together, and I was not disappointed.

I must say that this was the HOTTEST and most humid night of my life.  Ben looked at his phone at 10:15 PM and it was 94 degrees, but "felt like 99 degrees." That feels like death in DC.  There was zero breeze and the humidity turned the city into a sauna.  After the show we got frozen yogurt to cool down. As we were walking back to our cars, a storm (that left the majority of the area without power) suddenly and dramatically set in. Driving home in torrential rains with downed trees was quite the adventure, but we made it back safely.  I guess we were fortunate that it literally did not rain on our parade.

A few photo and video highlights:



 The Commandant's Residence





No comments: