While in New York last month, Ben and I stopped by the 9/11 Memorial. It was humbling to reflect upon that day and try to even comprehend what that must've been like for the victims, their families, and NYC. My life has changed a lot since my Sophomore year in high school when the tragedy occurred. I have a bit more perspective on what that day would've been like for those directly impacted, and visiting the memorial really brought that home for me.
At the time of 9/11, I had never been on an airplane. I had never been to New York. I hadn't stepped foot in many tall buildings. Now, I hop on an airplane a couple of times a year. I am officially not a fan of turbulence, so I can only image the anxiety of the passengers on the planes that day. Ever since I was on the 10th floor of my office for DC's earthquake last summer, I've been more aware of shaking/movement in tall buildings. I can't even comprehend how terrifying it would be to be trapped on the top floors of a burning/falling building. I now adore New York City, and I'm sad that such a large piece of it was lost.
Ben was a freshman at Georgetown when a plane struck the Pentagon and his brother Seth was a first-year law student at NYU when the twin towers went down. It was interesting to look over the memorial and chat with Ben about his experience. After we got home, I looked up a piece Seth wrote about the city post-9/11.
The monument was beautifully done. From wikipedia: "Two pools with the largest manmade waterfalls in the United States cascading down their sides are located within the footprints of the Twin Towers. Each pool is 1-acre (4,000 m²), and together they are intended to symbolize the loss of life and the physical void left by the terrorist attacks." I love that the designer put a falls within the falls, so you can't see where the water ends from any angle.
The most ironic, but fitting, part of the memorial is that people have to go through a huge security check-point to get into the memorial. Long lines, x-ray scanners, purse checks. You can walk up to all of the memorials/monuments in DC, but it just shows how much 9/11 shifted our views on safety and security.
The monument: endless falls with the names of the victims
Rebuilding

4 comments:
I'd really like to see that monument, and the falls particularly. Next time we make it out there...
What the?! Neal commented on your blog. He is truly a blogger now :) But I agree...I really want to see it someday. I did an undergraduate research project on memorials in the U.S. I visited 4 all over the United states and interviewed people about their experiences at the memorial. I think they can be so powerful.
Neal, this is such an honor! I'm glad you're a blogger now. I really love reading your posts on "Raised by my Daughter." Your other blog is lengthening my reading list, so that's good too.
Lindsay put your blog in my google reader, so now I'm following you like a creepy stalker.
Post a Comment