Last week I went to Boston for three days to attend the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. If someone took most of my favorite things, shook them up in a bottle, and created a conference, it would be Dorkapalooza (as Bill Simmons, my favorite sports writer, calls the event). I loved the content and I loved the people. It's so easy to turn small talk into big talk when I'm surrounded by stats geeks and sports junkies.
I met up with Becca, a friend from home, for lunch at John Harvard's pub my first day in town.
I also met Adam Silver, the deputy commission of the NBA and most likely the next commish. Bloggers claim he's robotic (at least in lockout negotiations), but he's actually quite personable. I may or may not be coming for his job.I really enjoyed my time in Boston, but still don't know the city that well yet. I've only been to Boston/Cambridge twice and the first time I went was before I even had a blog (Columbus Day 2006). The weather wasn't great during either visit (at least it wasn't flash flooding this time), so I owe it to the city to visit in the summer. Hopefully they move Dorkapalooza to July next year.
4 comments:
Why can I totally see you as a sports announcer or something?! I'm glad that you had a great time.
First post on your blog that I've really hated! I'm sooo jealous...I'm not even jealous of Hawaii trips ;) No seriously, I love Boston and Simmons and stats geekery. Did you go for work or for play?
That sounds so fun!
Sounds like a perfect trip for you. We went in the fall when the girls were 4, and it was one of my favorite trips. The leaves and all the historical sites were amazing.
Post a Comment