Sunday, September 13, 2009

US Open Tennis

Last week I turned a three-day weekend into a four-day weekend and headed to Connecticut (for a day) and NYC (for three). While in CT, I saw the family I used to babysit for in DC and spent a day's worth of quality time with Hannah, Natalie, and Sarah. I then spent Saturday celebrating a friend's birthday and Sunday catching up with a slew of college friends. While all this was great fun, the main reason I was in town was to attend the US Open.

Ben and I attended the US Open two years ago and decided it would be a worthy annual tradition. We missed the Open last year and Ben had to miss it this year... but the show went on.

Legit tennis fans. We cheered Oudin and Federer on all afternoon. Fun fact: Marquis (far right) managed to score 2nd row (yes, 2nd row!) seats through his work to a day match two days later. Talk about cool.

View from the top

Oudin vs. Petrova. We showed up at the beginning of the third set (after roaming the grounds) to make sure we didn't miss Federer's big entrance. Then Oudin ended up pulling off another upset in front of our eyes and becoming the Cinderella story of the Open for a few days.

Federer vs. Obredo. Not a competitive match for obvious reasons, but it was great watching Federer. It's incredible how good he is, especially in person.

About half way through the Federer match I had a moment when I realized I was watching arguably the best tennis player in the history of the sport.

3 comments:

llcall said...

Tell me honestly, was that cheering picture staged or is that really how you candidly cheer at tennis matches :) ? the people must know.

Andrea said...

If you must know, the photo was staged. But it's very representative of the real, authentic cheering that took place throughout the afternoon.

Karen said...

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! I have been a US Open Glutton these past few days and would have loved to attend the event in person. Aaaahhh, I can't believe that you got to watch Federer---LUCKY. I was surprised/shocked/saddened that he didn't take the Championship this year. I guess the man is human after all. Anyhow, Eric & I might be paying you and the Ben-meister a visit around this time next year;). I am happy that you got to go.