This past Saturday began with a 6:40 am wake up call. Ben told me we had 7 am breakfast reservations that we couldn’t be late for. I spent the next few minutes muttering something about “Who makes reservations for 7 am on a Saturday morning?” as we quickly rushed out the door.
Once in the car, I was led to believe that we were going to Annapolis for a sunrise breakfast. However, after we crossed the Bay Bridge, it was obvious we were going somewhere other than Annapolis. Ben had me open the glove compartment and there I found a to-go breakfast (fruit, luna bar) and the following note. Ben had pulled off his best surprise yet on a person who is not easily surprised.
Last month Ben said he had a fail proof plan for completing thank you’s that would be implemented when the time was right. As I learned Saturday morning, that plan involved removing ourselves from an ever distracting DC and going on a weekend writing retreat to the beach.
Kudos to Ben for pulling off an enjoyable weekend and the surprise operation. I definitely made him work to get me away for the weekend. I had arranged with a friend to meet up and go to the gym Saturday morning. Another friend was down for the weekend from NYC and we were planning to get together. My social planning efforts and Ben’s kidnapping plan left the two of us working towards opposite purposes once again. Quote of the whole ordeal, Ben to a friend: “I’m unraveling this social web as fast as she can knit it!” Everything worked out well and we returned in time to meet up with friends for an afternoon picnic at the arboretum, stop by another get together, and then have two hours at home to straighten up and get ready for the week.
For those still awaiting a thank you, do not fear. We are putting addresses on envelops this week, and mailing all cards on Saturday. My profuse apologies for the delay and our sincere (belated) thanks!
3 comments:
this is truly classic. "Unraveling this social web"! Golden!
I wish Neal had done this to help us finish our thank yous. He was not the most cooperative in the area of thank yous. Well done, Ben!
You definitely have one sweet and romantic husband there. What a great idea. This is sad, but I never even finished my thank you's. If only Tom would have planned a romantic getaway for us then maybe I would have finished. Yep, it's definitely all Tom's fault. :)
Hey, Dad and I are just excited that you are finally getting this done! Good job, Ben!
Post a Comment