Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's Easy Being Green

During any initial interaction with southerners, it typically only takes between 30 seconds to two minutes before I receive the “where are you from” question or the more assertive, “you’re not from here, are you” statement. My “accent,” or lack thereof—in my opinion, gives me away every time and so too do my mean green walking machine ways.

London is the land of the ubiquitous iPod sporting pedestrians. North Carolina is home to NASCAR. In transitioning so quickly from one place the other, I didn’t even think of what an uproar maintaining some of my urban, and eco-friendly, habits from my former life in this new setting would cause. Yet, even six weeks after becoming Lincoln Financial of Greensboro’s lone pedestrian commuter, I still receive the morning report of who did or did not see me walking to work, as if it’s some grand occurrence. Even more amusing, I’ve had complete strangers come up to me during the downtown lunch hour and ask if I was the girl they spotted walking that morning as they drove into work. Complete strangers! Intrigued by a 15 minute walk!

The New York Times, in announcing Paris’s new Vélib program, reassured me this morning that I’m not the only one who enjoys alternative transportation. Just one more reason to love the French—and I’m being serious. Also, while on the topic of favorite cities and environmental policies/programs, I’ve been a huge supporter of PLANYC 2030 ever since it was announced this past April.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Andrea, I completely support the green movement too. I now have a recycling service that picks up recyclable items twice a month (the same day the garbage gets picked up.) I feel excited to recycle. I think mom instilled this desire to recycle in me.