Last night I stayed up past midnight to watch a full nine innings of baseball on television for the first time of my life. At this point in my sports fan career, I'm a basketball specialist (majoring in the OKC Thunder and minoring in the NBA) who views hockey, baseball, and (to a much smaller extent) football as SportsCenter opportunity cost for my true love.
While I'm not a baseball fan, I started following the Nationals post-season run this past week. I mainly checked the box scores, but after the magical moment on Thursday night I became fully invested. Friday morning it was clear that the Nats had officially won the hearts of DC sports fans. There was a sea of red throughout the city and even the cupcakes and macaroons at the local bakery were topped with swirly W's.
As a devoted sports fan, I love a good story. I tuned in to Tebow time during fourth quarters last NFL season. I watched the women's gymnastic team do their thing in London. As much as I hated Jordan during his career, I now appreciate his legacy.
This was a good sports story:
This was a sad sports story:
I had started caring - really caring - about baseball literally less than 24 hours before this moment, and even I felt crushed by the meltdown. I can only imagine how true Nats fans felt. Hopefully October will be kinder to DC next year.
While I'm not a baseball fan, I started following the Nationals post-season run this past week. I mainly checked the box scores, but after the magical moment on Thursday night I became fully invested. Friday morning it was clear that the Nats had officially won the hearts of DC sports fans. There was a sea of red throughout the city and even the cupcakes and macaroons at the local bakery were topped with swirly W's.
As a devoted sports fan, I love a good story. I tuned in to Tebow time during fourth quarters last NFL season. I watched the women's gymnastic team do their thing in London. As much as I hated Jordan during his career, I now appreciate his legacy.
This was a good sports story:
Jayson Werth after hitting the winning homerun (Game 4)
Jayson Werth after the Nats went from a 7-5 lead to a 7-9 deficit in the 9th inning despite being one strike away (twice) from winning the game (Game 5)
I had started caring - really caring - about baseball literally less than 24 hours before this moment, and even I felt crushed by the meltdown. I can only imagine how true Nats fans felt. Hopefully October will be kinder to DC next year.


1 comment:
Baseball is special. Did you feel how special it is? I think there's something about the different pace of it that heightens the highs and deepens the lows.
Post a Comment