Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taste of Thailand

Despite a fairly comprehensive update last post, I still have some unfinished business. I've wanted to post pictures from our Thailand trip (this is a "journey" centric blog after all) ever since returning to America, and I'm finally following through three months later.

I had never been to Eastern Asia before, and absolutely loved the new travel experience. It was also the first time Ben and I traveled together internationally. I discovered I prefer American Thai food to Thai Thai food, but other than that I have no complaints. Everything was perfect. We started in lovely Phuket, flew up to Chiang Mai a week later, and eventually took the train down to Bangkok.

Bendrea meets Thailand. Taken in Chiang Mai.

Ben at the same temple complex

Our lovely beach in Phuket

We took Thai origami classes one day. Quite an impressive bamboo fish, if I might say so myself.


Thai massage at the spa

Sunset ceremony in Phuket

We became frequent 7-Eleven patrons while in Thailand. It may seem like we broke one of my cardinal travel rules (always seek the authentic experience), but 7-Eleven is all the rage with the locals. Plus, if you had seen fried fish hanging from street food stands every day all day, you'd need a slurpee too.

Possibly our most impressive feat of the trip. Ben, using only hand motions for communication, convinced the 7-Elevan worker to heat these babies up in the microwave and then ate them there.

A true travel sin: eating at McDonalds. For the record, it only happened once.

We took a one-day Thai cooking class in Chiang Mai and I loved it! Here we are making our very own curry paste.
Ben loved the mini Thai bananas, though he didn't appreciate every other food serving size fit for ants.

Taken during our day trip to the Golden Triangle.

"Aloma" Tea Pillow

Ben with a famous Buddha in Bangkok. Our camera batteries were nearly dead by the time we made it to Bangkok, so we don't have many photos of the city.

Painting elephants! Can you believe it? We were seriously impressed by their skillz, so we bought a painting to hang in our home. If you want to see it, you'll have to visit. :)

Taken right after one of the elephants tried to swallow Ben's hand with its trunk

Earlier in the day, a monkey threw a banana peel right at me. We didn't capture that on camera, so you get to see the weight lifting monkey instead.

This was insane. I don't know how I was ever talked in to going to a snake farm.


Happy Ever After...

2 comments:

llcall said...

hey, i came to visit and i don't remember you pointing out an elephant painting!

it's seriously great to see some new posts and the pics from thailand!

Adrienne said...

I'd love to set up a Thai food cooking lesson from you two. Perhaps we can meet up sometime soon?