Once a month our Chaplain in Residence pairs with a RA to host Prayer Dinner, which consists of one part prayer and, naturally, one part dinner. Robert, our Catholic Louisianian on staff, helped host an early Mardi Gras prayer dinner this month. It was fantastic. Not only did we learn the Act of Contrition prayer and more about the Lent tradition, we also enjoyed lip smackingly delicious food. We had gumbo, red beans and rice, corn bread, and king cake (pictured). The South just earned a few points in my book.For the past three years, I have attempted Lent. Yes, attempted, but never successfully completed. I genuinely enjoy learning about other faith traditions. However, I've lacked the self discipline Lent requires since it is a cultural experience for me, rather than a religious obligation . But this year is my year.
For Lent this year, I'm giving up sugar (except natural sugars found in fruit, etc.). Last year I gave up sugar for Lent, too...and then I went to Belgium. It was against my travel philosophy to be in the country and not try their chocolate. The rest of Lent went downhill from there. Fortunately or unfortuantely, depending on how you look at it, I won't be in Belgium at all this time around. So, no more belgium chocolate. No more king cake. And no more sugar.
1 comment:
No more sugar?!?! What are you crazy?! Good thing I sent that package when I did. Just in the nick of time. You go girl!
Post a Comment