Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Gma

I saw Grandma Bjorkman for the first time in a year when Mom and I stopped at her new assisted living home in Star on our way to go shopping in Boise. It was sad to see how much she's declined, but at the same time she was doing better than I had anticipated. She definitely remembered who I was, despite being confused about quite a few other things. For example, she had spent the morning looking for her swimsuit so she could go swimming in the river. Mom, Adrienne, Savannah, Abby, and Jocelyn had visited the day before and told her about our Banks outing; hence the next day swimsuit ordeal. And of course, she was as sassy and quotable as ever. My personal favorite, and I feel I can post this since it is verbatim and quite innocent considering her age, was when out of the blue she pointed to one of the caretakers and said, "See that girl over there, Andrea? I hate her and she hates me...and I make no bones about it." Oh, to be old and have the right so say whatever one wants.

2 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Okay, I am dying right now because I can totally hear Gma saying that. So funny! I think that's right up there with "Jeff, I'm sorry what I said about your hair" although she hadn't said anything. Which reminds me, when we were there she looked at Tom's hands and said, "Your hands are white. (Pause) That means you don't do any work." I love it! I'm glad you had such an enjoyable trip. That's nice you got to go fishing with your dad and Steve. I'm sad I didn't get to see the Oregon Bjorkmans but I'm glad I got to at least see you!

Andrea said...

Love the Tom story... Seriously, Gma is one of the highest forms of entertainment and I keep telling Mom she should write a book with a collection of Gma anecdotes.