I've been spoiled rotten in the family department this summer. I'm usually lucky to see my family once, maybe twice a year. However, I've been on a roll the last few months. In May, Ben and I spent a week with my sister Karen and her husband Eric in Oahu and then a week with Ben's parents in Kauai. In early August, I saw my parents and most of my siblings/nieces/nephews in Colorado. The following week I was in Orlando for work and met up with Ben's oldest brother's family and Ben's parents for dinner and an evening at the pool. Ben's other brother, Seth, and his family were in DC for the nine months leading up to summer.
To top off my streak of family gatherings, I met up with my two sisters in NYC for Labor Day weekend. Neither Becky nor Karen had been to my favorite American city before, so it was a treat to watch them soak it all in. In summary, we had a lot of fun and ate too much food.
FUN:
The US Open was the highlight of the trip. We went on Monday, the one day it didn't rain this week. What luck.
The US Open kids fun zone is the Disneyland of tennis. My favorite activity was clocking our serve speed. My high (of two attempts) was 57 mph. My brother-in-law Eric's high serve was 103 mph.

Hi, Rafa! ;)

All tatted up
True tennis fans. I'm a US Open poser compared to "Keric."

On Tuesday, we took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

It rained and rained and rained some more that day. Andrew was a trooper.

Ellis Island photo
Becky and I toured the village in the afternoon. "Fog's rollin' in..." on Bleecker Street.
FOOD:



Sockerbit - a sweet and Swedish candy shop
Becky... getting her Bjorkman on

New York style pizza (a must) at John's Pizzeria
Cheesecake at Billy's Bakery. Becky had three items on her food bucket list: pizza, cheesecake, and bagels. We ate all three.
Bonus: FABULOUS FAMILY
My nephew Andrew. He is a delight! He loved loved loved the subway system in New York and clapped at the appropriate times during the tennis matches. I adore his enthusiasm.
Thanks, sisters (and Andrew and Eric), for a wonderful time in the city. Love you guys!



4 comments:
So jealous. Glad you guys were able to get together. Just curious, which matches did you get to see?
-Tom
We saw Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs. Mardy Fish and Serena Williams vs. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in the main stadium. We also watched a women's doubles match up close on one of the grounds courts.
Looks like so much fun. I've never been to NYC but I think the U.S. Open will probably be the thing that gets me there. Just looking at all that delicious food is making me hungry.
Hey An,
I loved doing this trip with you guys! It was so much fun!
Love you tons!
Karen
Post a Comment