Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Hanukkah!

"Its so much fun-akkah to celebrate hanukkah" -Adam Sandler

Ben and I hosted our first-ever Hanukkah party Sunday night. I have a thing for Jewish culture and especially love Jewish holidays. We celebrated Rosh Hashanah a year ago just for the fun of it with matzo ball soup and gelfilte fish, but we've never attempted Hannukah. We invited a mix of friends from work, and it turned out to be a smashing success, mainly due to the Jewish friends who guided the evening and everyone else who was eager to participate.

Our makeshift menorah. The two friends tasked with finding a real one couldn't find one after searching at several stores (clerk at Bestbuy: "Is that a gardening tool?"), and then we realized a third friend in attendance had three at home. Oh well. We ended up improvising and it worked out just fine.

Dinner: potato latkes (featured), Hungarian stuffed-under-the-skin chicken, challah bread, and a cheese plate.

And for dessert: jelly donuts and a great cran-apple wassle

After dinner we played the dreidel game. I've never known what you actually do with dreidels, but the game was really fun / teaches gambling at a young age to Jewish children. :) The winnings are below.

Hanukkah gelt

In other holiday news, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. No snow, but after pulling a 9-5 at Tysons Corner on Saturday, Ben and I have almost all of our Christmas shopping done. And our tree has been up since Tiger Woods had his incident (i.e. the day after Thanksgiving). Now, if it could just be Friday already...

2 comments:

llcall said...

you are such the entertainers! looks like a great party, especially the gambling...

Karen said...

I love how you celebrate all of the holidays. That is awesome. Do you want to fix some Matzo balls when you are home in ID? Can't wait to see you guys:)!