My past week was fairly straightforward, so I didn't send an email update. However, Saturday was fun-filled and I had my camera along for most of it. Thus, a photo update.
The day started with dim sum in Chinatown. Such a fun outing! Amelia and YingTao (both in my Finance lecture and from mainland China) volunteered to take Eric and I for proper dim sum since I've been showing, well, excessive interest in Chinese culture. Eric and I, the two Scandinavian Americans, gave Amelia and YingTao free reign in ordering dishes for us to try, and they did not disappoint with providing a new and enriching cultural experience. We enjoyed "normal" food too, but duck tongues, frog legs, and chicken feet provided the adventurous elements of the meal. Afterwards I asked if we could all go grocery shopping together in C-town. I never know what to buy when I independently wander through the grocery store there, but now I have all kinds of ideas. All in all, it was a lovely (three hour long) lunch and shopping experience filled with plenty of interesting conversation.
Fact: I must go to China. SOON.
Afterwards, I worked on an application at the British Museum reading room and then headed to Soho for my now weekly dose of Georgetown basketball. We won, by a lot.
To end my day, I hung out with the Swedes Saturday night. Olof's friend Andreas, who I met while staying in Uppsala, was in town for the weekend. Five, actually six--myself included, Swedes celebrated his visit by making selma, a Swedish pastry traditionally served on Shrove Tuesday. Speaking of Lent, the selma was "exception" number two.
I'm still not sure if this is Bjorkman bias or just obvious truth, but Sweden (and Scandinavia as a whole) is one incredibly cool place. I'm no Jon'than, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the current "discover my roots" tour. I'm particularly fortunate to know Olof and his girlfriend Kristina (also Swedish, goes to Imperial three miles away), as well as some of their Uppsala friends now. It’s such a beneficial exchange: I love knowing anything and everything about the country and they love my Swedish-ness and curiosity. Andreas, with the quote of the night: "She's Swedish, she needs to know this"...when explaining, in the kindest possible way-ha, that selma buns are usually fluffier than the ones prepared by Jonna.
Photographs...
CHINATOWN

Me, Eric, YingTao, and Amelia enjoying a SUNNY Saturday afternoon in London's Chinatown.

Amelia and YingTao , very entertained (and pleased) by the American reactions to Chinese favorites.

Sizzlin' frogs legs. Actually quite tasty and the tenderest meat I've ever had. Interesting sidenote: it's now illegal to serve frogs legs in restaurants in China since this practice kills too many frogs that need to be eating insects and helping the crops.

Chicken's feet.

Eric, unsure about the frog leg before the first bite. Like I say above, they're actually quite good.

Veggies and duck tongues. Who knew ducks have a bone and small cartilage ball in their tongues...had to get over that small detail, but an alright dish overall.
BRITISH MUSEUM STUDY SESSION

I've talked about this place enough; finally, a photo.
WALK TO SOHO

On my way to the Gtown bball game at Soho's Bodean's BBQ. Thought I'd post a London candid since this is more the London I live in, rather than the Big Ben, St. Paul's, etc. London that's given in guidebooks. For those wondering, Georgetown earned the number one seed for the Big East tourney this weekend. I've been a faithful sportsfan since the age of 10 and, in return, this is what I receive: a Big East (regular season) Champion when I'm thousands of miles away.
SWEDISH EVENING
Andreas and Filip.

Olof, demonstrating the proper way to eat semla...in steamed milk

Jonna and Kristina preparing the semla.
1 comment:
Hey, its your cousin Natalie! I found your blog through Steve and Adrienne's. It sounds like you are having a blast!! When do you come home? I hope all is well and now we can catch up on each others lives!
Post a Comment